Sunday, October 14, 2007

Boulder

When I was moving west, I really wanted to go through Boulder on my drive out. In my mind Boulder has been one of the ideal places to live. When my friend in NYC said that she was plannng to try out some cities in the west -- thinking she wanted to move --including Denver, I encouraged her to think about Boulder. So we decided to meet in Denver, check it out and then go to Boulder.

I knew that I had built it up in my mind a bit, so it would be hard for it to meet my expectations. So I was a little concerned about that. I was also concerned about Virginia enjoying it. We're different people and there's not too much reason to think that we're going to be looking for the same things in a place to live.

Anyways, it's been just horrible. For starters, the weather sucks. It's pretty much been raining and cold since we got here. We're in bad moods and we've been hanging out in our hotel room way more than I like. Yesterday, I was trying to be positive. I'm done with it. Out loud, I'm practicing only saying positive things for the moment. I think that taking positive actions and saying positive things can make things better. But I'm so miserable.

The silver lining: my fascination with Boulder is over. I'm pretty sure that Boulder would be a fabulous place to live, but it's not magical. I thought being here could make me sad about where I live. It's got the night life and culture that Logan lacks. It's a good place to be single. To be honest, I didn't move to the Cache Valley to be in this location. I moved for a job. I have been trying to make the location work. There's lots to enjoy about the Valley. Approaching 30, I don't really need a night life anymore. I get to be close to family. And enjoying one's home is determined by how you live your life far more than where your home is.

I'm not a person that gets home sick and I can't think of a time in recent memory when I have wanted to be in my home more. Cache Valley, I'm so happy I get to wake up with you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

One thing that I have always enjoyed about traveling is that it makes you want your home (and if you don't, then maybe where you live isn't home?).

I have been watching Andes: The Dragon's Back on Nature, with the guanacos and vicunas, etc. You would like it!