Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Zucchini

Anyone have any zucchini recipes?
I went to the gardner's market on Saturday mainly on the look out for tomatoes (no luck, though there were promises of tomatoes on this coming Saturday. I induldged in some Hip Mama's Lemonade. Then I ran into the biggest zucchinis I have ever seen. The lady told me they were good for baking, so I figured I take advantage of the 3/$1 giant zucchinis.

This morning, I went out my front door for the first time in a couple of days and there were two giant zucchinis. So me, to leave my zucchinis hangin' on the porch. But where did the other one go and the bag they were in? I looked around a bit and then just took my stash in. And there to my surprise was my bag of zucchini.

It turns out that I am the beneficiary of the local custom of pawning off your unwanted zucchinis on neighbors. My coworker says that you need to leave your car windows rolled up in the summer or you'll find zucchini in your car when you come back.

I said GIANT. Here's a pic for scale. That food processor at the top is a 14 cup and the zucchini make it look tiny.



2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I don't have any recipes specifically, but if you make zucchini bread/muffins it freezes well. That way, you don't have to eat it all at once!

karinnajean said...

I've got one that calls for zucchini and squash and tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms (if you want),onion, chick peas (yum!), and parmasan cheese. But I"m sure it would taste just as yummy with only zuc, tomato and chick peas- those are essential.

Oven to 500. Roast zuc/carrots/sq/onion/mush with a little oil drizzled over top for about 12 min. Remove from oven. Add beans and drained tomatoes (kind with Italian herbs already in is best- or add some basil & oregano).

Reduce oven to 375. Roast, uncovered, for 10 min or until heated through. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.