Monday, April 6, 2009

Flocks of Phlox?


The first bulb plants are starting to poke out. As yards are filling with the early signs of spring, I'm kicking myself for not being able to commit to a location for hyacinth, crocuses and irises last fall.

In the mean time, I'm wandering around my yard, inspecting the apple trees for signs of budding and wondering if the daphne has just gone off and died. I'm also inspecting everyone else's plants to see if mine are keeping pace. Or perhaps someone else has planted a hydrangea, so I can safely plant the one I've been nursing inside for a month.

In a welcome sign that spring is finally here for me as well as everyone else, this morning I happened upon these little babes.


There are in fact two clumps of them, right where I planted perennial phlox last autumn. In fact, that's the only reason I have for believing that it is phlox. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's not a clever weed, tricking me into watering and feeding it.

It had also somehow escaped my attention that the coral bell has been underway for quite sometime, camoflauged against the mulch. Sneaky little bugger.

No comments: