Sunday, October 7, 2007

Snow!

We got snow! Not in the valley, just on the mountains and a bit on the bench. We got snow a couple of weekends ago in the mountains as well, but there was much more this weekend. Yesterday was all grey and ugly, but it was gorgeous today. I switched up my run today so I could take in the best view of the valley that I know if from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

There was great constrast between the autumn colors of the leaves and the snow. It's hard to see in pictures, but from across the valley, you can see the snow line on the Wellsvilles and below it, it's still all red.

It took me an hour to run 3 miles because I kept stopping to take pictures. I felt like such a tourist. I'm just all excited about having snow. Plus, while there will be plenty more snow, the fall colors won't be around for much longer.


Wellsvilles

I have long thought that the Wellsvilles were the steepest mountain range in North America, but Wikipedia can't confirm it.







First Dam

You can pick up the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, by parking at First Dam and going through the tunnel under 400 N. This is the view on the way up the switch backs.





The Island

The Island is formed where the Logan River comes out of the canyon and there is no bench against the mountains. The bench is the old shoreline from Lake Bonneville and it sits higher than the rest of the valley which would have been under water. So the trees that are low in this picture are on the Island; the houses that are visible are on the bench.






Snow and Maples

On the Bonneville Shoreline Trail Wasatch Range. You acn also see the sage brush, which was particularly fragrant. Perhaps the snow brought out the smell.

1 comment:

TucsonLizzie said...

Wow. Wow wow. First, I can't believe it snowed. Second, I can't believe how beautiful those pictures are! Wow.