Monday, November 12, 2007

My First Visit

It was really only a matter of time, right? I got my first visit from Mormon missionaries tonight. They knocked quite vigorously, so I thought it might be my fam making a surprise visit. But when I looked through the peep hole (purely a screening process, I've been getting a lot of salesmen -sooo not worried about criminal types here), there were a couple of guys in the suits. One of the guys was waving. How'd he know I was looking through the peep hole?? That completely freaked me out -- thinking he could see my eye and all -- so I opened on up.

I let the guy get through a bit of his spiel before explaining, I'm not buying what he's selling. We dialouged a little. "If God had sent his son to die for our sins wouldn't it be nice if he told us?" " Makes sense." "Do you live alone?" "Who's asking?" But I didn't want to lead them on. It's a bit too cold to be wasting time standing outside talking to someone who isn't going to convert.

I did get some cool swag, my own Book of Mormon. I'm actually pretty jazzed about it. Not just because all swag is good, but because I'm genuinely interested in knowing more about the locals. They asked me to read the intro and told me they'd be back. Awesome. I plan to do the homework. Next time I'd like to ask for some literature besides the book (like cliff notes and Mormon theology for dummies), but I'm a little concerned about giving the wrong impression.

I need to keep my apartment more picked up, so next time they come I can think about inviting them in. It's cold.

No comments: