Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Book Club - Life of Pi





I went to the Newcomer's book club tonight. I was glad that it finally got me to finish Life of Pi, which I had started and put down in the summer. I used to love literature class in high school, but I've been on a slow decline in my appreciation of higher fiction. It was good to not only finish a book outside of the Harry Potter series, but to be forced to think more deeply about some of the concepts - not too deep though and I sure don't feel like righting any papers.
Next month they're doing a nonfiction book about animal behavior (this one I think), a great follow up to The Life of Pi. After that, I think they're moving on to The Golden Notebook. I think I'll try to join in. Mary does a great job of leading the discussion; we had a good time, but I didn't feel like I was in class.
Life of Pi review: Good thinking optional book. Enjoyed it when I was just taking it for what it was on the surface, commentary on animal behavior, religion and a pretty good plot (which picks up 100 pages in). It was also easy to see more to the book once I was in the club's discussion.
Cool. Maybe I can start looking for books that aren't the next installment of Bridget Jones.

3 comments:

serra said...

Hi! I love how your site has upcoming local events and I hope you keep it as current as possible. I know my husband and I will be referring to it:) I also love to read, so its been interesting looking through your book discoveries. I am a small local business too, cachevalleyboutique.com, my blog site is cachevalleyboutique.blogspot.com - check it out! I am thinking about having a link on my page with different people in the valley on it, would you like me to link yours?? thanks!!!

serra

TucsonLizzie said...

Ooo. I've been wanting to read Pi forever. Emi just sent me "The Time Traveler's Wife" and I couldn't put it down. so good.

Emily Hunter said...

Mmm Hmm. You're right about the 100-pages-in comment: I think that's right where I put the bookmark in and then put it on the shelf about three months later. I was just thinking about this book today: should I pick it back up again? I did like the talk about animals in the zoos...