Thursday, June 7, 2007

East Coast Farewell Tour

I have been on my East Coast Farewell tour. It started with going on a previously planned trip to Atlanta (actually Gwinnett County) shortly after I decided to move west. That was great, seeing people from back home, taking time with the family there. My friend Karinna is about to have a baby.

Since then, I’ve been going nonstop. I decided that I am going to keep so incredibly busy seeing people that I would miss, doing things I won’t be able to do any more and moving that by the time I left DC, I will be so burned out – maybe I won’t miss it so much. I’m not sure how it’s going to work out, but boy am I getting tired.

I was thinking, I have to see the Holocaust Museum, try to get into the White House, see an Opera or the Symphony at the Kennedy Center… I managed to catch the Shakespeare Free For All production of Love’s Labor Lost in Rock Creek Park a couple of weeks ago. That was fun. But mostly, I realize that all the stuff I haven’t done is stuff that I haven’t done for some reason or another for the last 5 years. Those aren’t going to be the things I miss.

I was thinking the same way about NYC, I took the train up there last weekend to see Virginia and hang out. I was thinking that we should see a play, I should jog in Central Park, maybe I should do the touristy things I’ve never done there (Statute of Liberty). But when were thinking about seeing STOMP, I was thinking, sounds good, but I don’t want to be pent up for my last hours in Manhattan. So we walked around, doing the usual. Shopping a bit, eating a bit, mostly just walking. I don’t know why just walking is enough in Manhattan. I would think I would get bored of endless walking somewhere else, but there’s always something new to see.

By Sunday I was ready to slow down. Really I want to slow down now, but my room is in such disarray, I don’t want to be there. And there’s only one week left. Don’t Stop. Don’t Stop til You Get Enough.


Next Friday, I head off for the last leg of the East Coast Farewell Tour. The family reunion in Graham, NC. I don’t know how long I’ll be there.

2 comments:

georgia said...

Or, like we learned at Rumors this past Friday..."Don't stop believing" whoa oh ohhhhhhhhhhh

Brook said...

"Hold on to that fee-ee-eelin'"